Medical charities present a particular risk and require deep understanding and experience. Contracts with Pharma and Biotech can create expensive liabilities if not constructed correctly, and insurance for Clinical Trials and IP litigation both have potentially huge cost attachment points.
Funding bodies often include indemnity clauses in agreements that require skilful analysis in considering how to either negotiate removal, or insure the resulting liability.
Any active medical involvement is likely to create a much larger premium than a charity would normally consider. Therefore outsourcing with suitable legal transfer of responsibilities becomes critical, both to protect the Charity, and to insure the residual liability.
Medical records are highly desirable to cyber thieves, with rich contextual information that can be exploited for use in ransom blackmail, social engineering or impersonation fraud. When combined with regulatory requirements, your data policy becomes a key pillar of your insurable risk analysis.
Considerations for medical charities
- A rigorous IT security policy, and device estate, all constantly monitored
- Instantly accessible cyber event first response services
- Ensuring contractual liability is actively addressed and understood for any sponsored or outsourced work
- Relevant regulatory requirements should underpin all operations and thinking
- Buying insurance for residual malpractice or trials risk to protect Trustees as well as the organisation
- Open risk assessment by the charity of the impact on the charity of any adverse reaction in trials
- Tested cyber breach plan
- Duty of care to protect Trustees, and explain coverage to them
- Selecting an insurance broker who both fits with your internal team and understands the medical pharma world in which you operate
- An insurer who has an interest in your sector
Charities & Care Practice Consultancy
Innovation Broking have been working closely with the Care Practice Consultancy of the insurer, Markel, and can now bring that service to you, whether or not you insure with Markel, and at significant discounts.
Markel Care: for Children, for Elderly, for Vulnerable Adults
Innovation Broking is an active member of, and hosts relevant training events for – often in conjunction with – the Association of Medical Research Charities. We have the experience and capacity to deliver optimal risk advice and the ability to work effectively with your internal team and external professionals. Innovation Broking is completely independent and non-aligned to any one insurer. Contact us today for further information or assistance.